Thursday, August 5, 2010

Wool is Wonderful!

You might wonder why we sell hand-knit wool shorts to be used as diaper covers. I can attest that wool is an amazing diapering tool! It naturally repels water (so it is a fairly waterproof diaper cover--assuming you change your babe regularly), which is how it keeps sheep dry. It is also inherently anti-odor and anti-microbial. This means you really don't need to wash it often; I only wash our covers in the event of a pooptastrophe or if I want them to be extra pretty when I'm showing them off (i.e. to get off the food crusties).

I alternate between two wool covers. The first is a lovely deep-plum pair of shorties that Em (aka Mouse) knit for Bird for her birthday. I love these because I don't even need to put pants on Bird. :] If you'd like to check out our selection of shorties, or custom-order a pair by size and color, please head on over to our Etsy store.

The other wool cover I use regularly is a sustainablebabyish | sloomb double layer organic merino wool cover. This cover is thick and breathable, great for overnight. I bought a "seconds" cover, meaning fully functional, but not aesthetically up to their standards, so I got it for about half price.

If you think that wool might be too hot for summer, think about this: would you be cooler wearing fabric that can breathe or a plastic, waterproof rain jacket on your summer outings? Wool allows your baby's diaper to breathe and cool down. It is the combination of urine (moisture) and heat that causes smelly, irritating nasties to grow in your baby's diaper and on their skin. Wool is the perfect solution: waterproof but completely breathable.

No comments:

Post a Comment